We all know active ingredients can make a huge difference to your skin, but what exactly are they and what do they do for your skin? We’ve narrowed down some of our favourites.
Glycolic Acid is most effective for treating skin conditions because it is able to penetrate the skin deeply and easily.
- This active ingredient provides exfoliation for the skin
- It can effectively aid in acne treatment by sloughing off dead skin cells, reducing sebum production and unclogging pores and congested skin.
- Reduces pore size
- Increases cell turnover
- Diminishes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Helps other products penetrate the skin better as it removes the blockage of dead skin cells from the skin’s surface
HA is incredible for dehydrates skin. This is one of the active ingredients that is ideal for most skin types. eplenish moisture, a lot of moisture! One
- Enhances water content and helps the skin retain a balanced amount of moisture.
- Revitalises the skin to appear smoother and feel softer.
- Improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by plumping the skin.
- Defends the skin against environmental aggressors
- It has a light-weight texture meaning HA is suitable for mature skin and sensitive skin as well as oily and combination skin types.
Also known as beta hydroxy acid (BHA), salicylic acid is an ideal active ingredient for oily and acne-prone skin.
- It promotes skin exfoliation, loosening clumped dead skin cells and unclogging blocked pores
- Can penetrate deep into the pores, meaning that it exfoliates both inside the pore as well as the surface of the skin.
- Reduces oil production
- Helps to firm and plump the skin by promoting cell turnover.
- Is an anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant to help soothe skin, reduce redness and subdue aggressive breakout.
Vitamins are a necessity for the human body, the innumerable benefits they have for both your health and skin are undeniable. Which is why it was essentially a no-brainer for so many ZO Skin Health products to be packed with vitamins as active ingredients.
Vitamin A, also known as retinol, is one of the best anti-ageing active ingredients on the market.
- It can help promote collagen production – firming the skin
- Diminish the look of fine lines and wrinkles
- Significantly improve uneven skin tone by smoothing and refining the surface of skin
- Reduce pore size and balance oil production
- Help in the eradication of pre-cancerous skin lesions
- Aid in reducing the symptoms of rosacea
- Promote skin exfoliation, making skin smoother and more even
- Optimise UV protection by repairing the cellular function of the epidermis
- Improve skin hydration
Vitamin C has several important functions:
- It helps to protect cells and keep them healthy.
- Helps with wound healing.
- Maintains healthy connective tissue, giving support and structure for the skin.
- Creates younger-looking and firmer feeling skin.
- It is necessary for collagen production and maintenance.
- Neutralises and protects skin from free radicals.
- Diminishes hyperpigmentation and evens skin tone
- Helps skin’s surface defend itself from environmental aggressors
Vitamin E is both a nutrient and antioxidant. Also known as tocopherol it helps to maintain healthy skin through it’s anti-inflammatory, nourishing and immune enhancement properties.
- Vitamin E protects skin from free radical damage and by blocking free radical damage, it reduces the appearance of wrinkles
- It boosts collagen production
- Supports cell growth and speeds up cell regeneration
- Helps to lighten and smooth rough skin to even skin tone and reduce pigmentation
- Ideal for healing rough, damaged and/or cracked skin.
- Can help soften dry lips.